Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Iemanja - goddess and protectorant

Iemanjá, goddess (or orixá) of the sea, is a central deity in the Candomblé religion. She watches over sailors and fishermen and controls their catches. She is powerful, and is concerned with every aspect of womanhood, fertility and family; she is also the protector of children. Iemanja often, is depicted as a mermaid and is always dressed in either white or blue.

Culturally influenced while living in Brazil, I had found my spiritual 'sweetheart'. In Rio de Janeiro, her powers and influence are celebrated on each years, New Years Eve. Offerings of candles, flowers, lipstick and liquor, arranged within small handmade boats, are then released out to sea. For me, Iemanja has been very good to me, therefore I celebrate each year with my own shrine and personal offerings, set out upon the floating water on this special eve.

Most year's she's camera shy, but this year, near midnight, even Knuckles celebrated and stood along side, lighting candles in thought and prayers.







No comments:

Post a Comment