Sunday, December 29, 2019

father's footsteps

St. Petersburg Yacht Club

St. Petersburg, Florida

On a recent visit to St. Pete, I stopped in unannounced at the private, St. Petersburg Yacht Club, to search for any trace of my father, the late Spencer McCourtney. Early in his life he was a renowned yachting enthusiast, built and helped design trophy race boats, and for years charted his schooner, the 'Rambler', throughout the Gulf and Caribbean.

Luckily the club's receptionist Betty, caught me while wandering the halls, and was more than enthusiastic, guiding me through the historic club's endless glass showcases. Even gave me a copy, as a gift, of their published SPYC's Centennial book (1909-2009).  So finally, I had found a part of my father - and a part that wishfully, he had shared.






One of hundreds of trophies at the SPYC. The "Commodore Longmire Cup" (1958) that my father and crew competed in.
 




Sailing from out of the St. Pete Yacht Club, three "yawls" jockeying at the starting line.  My father's "Brisote" appearing on near left (order mistakenly identified), with spinnaker flying. (Published as a spread in Sports Illustrated, March 1959).








No comments:

Post a Comment