Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Photo Clubs

Tossed and turned all night, couldn't sleep.  So early this morning I went out to Denny's for breakfast.  Sitting directly in front of me, across the counter from my breakfast plate, I noticed this notice - and it caught my eye.  Never knew that there was a local "photo club", let alone, that they met once a week at Denny's.

Every Wednesday evening, from 5:00 to 7:00, apparently a group of about twenty meet to discuss their photographic insights and interests - with each sharing their own personal photos. My server told me that they were a "real friendly bunch".  Well, today is Wednesday, and tonight might be fun to attend as that "mystery" guest.

Last week's club discussion from a member's photo submission, titled, "moon".





(Later) So, I did return at 6:00 pm - and approached the group, while casually introducing myself.  At first, a little anxiety on their faces, but soon I warmed them up - telling them all, that I thought their group get-together was great. Their ages ranged from a young, pretty 17 year old girl - to my immediate favorite - an 87 year old retired, crotchety, Stanley Sterling from Newburgh, New York.

While MaryAnne led the meeting, she quickly explained to me that they were all strickly amateurs - which I understood.  Those that wanted to submit photos for the evening's judging threw in a couple of bucks towards a pay-out later.  What was so interesting, was that the management allowed the "club" to take their selections, all mounted on a board, around to all the individual seated diners, letting each choose their first, second and third favorites.  Amazingly, the customers all took it in stride, seemingly enjoying it - and the judging process, all very democratic.


MaryAnne, asking a customer for his favorite picks from this week's topic - "eyes".





My new acquaintance, 87 year old Stanley (and not wanting his face shown) with his portrait of his son, Eric from 1951.  When I asked him what his favorite photographic subject was, he immediately replied, "nudes".




All in all, the Sarasota Photo Club, a very sweet group - and, they invited me back.



No comments:

Post a Comment