Thursday, June 18, 2015

my first MRI's

(if not interested in notes, see photos below)

After my first physical therapy session on my injured knee this morning, I was scheduled for two MRI's this afternoon at the Imaging Center - being referred this past Monday by my new Neurologist, Dr. Donald Negroski.

All metal objects were to be removed from my body and my shoes were taken off, my knees were raised - while gently, I was covered with a warm white sheet. Intravenous needles were inserted, fluids injected, ear muffs placed and a head alignment guard fitted.  A large plunger bulb was given to my right hand under the sheet for that emergency call alarm, if needed.  My eyes were wide shut - and reluctant to keep them open.

"Imaging" sounds;  first - as if being beneath the water-line on a large ship, hearing that distant engine room rumble with a muffled propeller, slowly moving across the Atlantic.  Then suddenly pounding, shaking from a large construction pile-driver.  And next from a machine-gunner - with that, rat-a-tat-tat.  After forty-five minutes, finally a continuous, smooth, white noise as if I had passed on, laying in a cylindrical metallic coffin, traveling through infinity.  Eyes shut - still not looking out.


The Siemens 3T Magnetom Trio, performing several different brain scans (with & without contrast) - scanning visualized grey & white matter, as well as anatomy.








   

(Many thanks to all the staff, particularly Tamara, my technologist, who turned out to be a fine photographer and personal guide).




No comments:

Post a Comment