Thursday, April 26, 2018

I. M. Pei revisited

Driving out early this morning, and tuned into NPR - on air, there came across a brief mention that the acclaimed international architect, I. M. Pei, had just turned 101 years old.  It was his birthday.

Funny, cause I was heading out today for Sarasota's New College campus, looking forward to an intensive two day summit on the quality of our local bays and estuaries, yet now thinking, it might also be a good time to re-visit and reflect on a notable local landmark - the famed New College residential courtyard designed by I. M. Pei (1965). 

Seems years have taken it's toll (now patched & painted). Doing a little background research, and from my own early memory, the courtyard was originally poured and left of raw concrete, left unpainted. In it's original state - referencing the original forms, it's function and dorm livability - an early student once was quoted, "I found the rather rectilinear Palm Court, an Apollonian island in a Dionysian jungle."







No comments:

Post a Comment