Wednesday, March 14, 2018

endodontic surgery

APICOECTOMY PROCEDURE

A year old root canal procedure, performed on an upper molar of mine had gone south and the surrounding tooth area, now had become extremely painful. In my case, the soft tissue of the maxilla bone surrounding the noted tooth had developed several large pockets of concern, and all recently discovered through a requested CT scan.

In a typical Apicoectomy procedure, the endodontist opens the gum tissue near the tooth to see the underlying bone and to remove any inflamed or infected tissue. The very end of the tooth root is also removed. The procedure requires going in through the gum-line, drilling out the infected bone area while taking a tissue sample for later biopsy.  Then finally, the infected area is medicated and sealed, while the surgeon, using 5 or 6 stitches, ties the whole thing off.

Well, upon my arrival for surgery, I was a little anxious, I had done my research.  The receptionist first handed me an "informed consent waiver" to sign, outlining the surgical risks.  And there appeared to be many. That done, I picked out a copy of Outside from their magazine rack believing that this might help - to be in another place - to help find another space - like being outside.

Two hours later, I left with a swollen face, an ice-pack, and 5 stitches. But, I was particularly thankful for that quick read of Outside Magazine during the initial numbing process - for the magazine's help in keeping my eyes closed while using those visual thoughts - and for allowing me that time, while I temporarily disappeared somewhere other.














the magazine's appropriate last page, which guided me straight to the local pharmacy.






No comments:

Post a Comment