Wednesday, November 5, 2014

San Francisco's Lawn Bowling Club

Having just been in the Bay Area and excited by my new sport, I had recently ventured over to San Francisco's Lawn Bowling Club, situated in the city's, Golden Gate Park.

The interior of the historic clubhouse was filled with old B&W photos, trophies, memorabilia etc.  But my memory will always be with the group camaraderie and it's cast of characters - all giving me a big welcome, with an initial offering from a member's pot of hot tea - and all reaching out, with that big helping hand.


My new buddies, Joanne & Leon outside the Clubhouse (SFLBC - America's oldest Municipal Lawn Bowling Club)




Green #3 with the Club's logo in the background topiary.




Leon Simpson - my first day's bowling partner and SFLBC's unofficial club photographer.




John McClaren - the Club's founder and former superintendent of Golden Gate Park.




Trophies and original wooden "bowls" from the early 1900's.




Members "tag" board.




And "Wally" - a Wheaten Terrier, who always arrived early, and always stayed late, just to watch.






No comments:

Post a Comment