Saturday, July 15, 2023

An Appalachian summer

McDowell County, West Virginia, Summer 1993

When I think of summers, I often recall the Blue Ridge Mountains of my youthful camp days. 

And when years later I discovered that early European settlers of Appalachia were mostly of Scotch-Irish descent, I thought of my own heritage - and that of the odd chance that there might be other McCourtney families living up there within the Blue Ridge mountain area. 

So, late in the summer of '93, I headed out on long road trip, that first took me to Kentucky, then deep into West Virginia of southern Appalachia. 

On rumor, in the little town of Sandy Bottom, in McDowell County, West Virginia, I did find a McCourtney name on a postal box in a tiny one room Post Office. When I inquired around, the local Pastor told me that the family had, "long been gone, moved on". Back on a rural mountain road, and lost, I soon stopped and asked for directions. A young man seemingly wanting to be friendly - to share some company - waved me over and offered me in.

 

Clarence Daughtery, sitting out on the rail of his front porch, as I first stopped and introduced myself.

 


 

 

Clarence, with his girlfriend, who had recently arrived from Florida to help with the summer's "root gathering", invited me to stay for a couple days.  And from another world, we soon became close.

 


 

 

Clarence taking me way up into the coal mining hills, showing me the tell-tale signs of premium-grade Ginseng root.

 



 

Clarence with his valuable stash of summer Ginseng and dried collected leaves of Devil's Backbone.


 

 

(Eventually I went on to cover a 'labor strike' of the United Mine Workers at a gathering and rally outside of Welch. Then documenting the remaining days of a practicing, reclusive Pentecostal 'Snake Handling' Church in Jolo, West Virginia. Thought about dropping by the Carter (Maybelle) family's homestead in western Virginia, where music was still being played, but never made it.  Over a month on the road before heading home).

  



No comments:

Post a Comment