Sunday, May 9, 2021

objects bought and found

"Ah-Tah-Thi-Ki" - A native Seminole (Mikasuki) description of a place to learn, a place to remember.

Some, forty some years ago, I purchased several articles of Seminole clothing, all used, and worn from years past. Men and women's personal clothing, all found neatly hanging from a 'sales' rack at the tribe's Miccosukee Cultural Center, then a roadside attraction off the old Tamiami Trail, in the heart of the Everglades. 

I remember the individual pieces being somewhat expensive for the time - a man's detailed, cotton patchwork jacket that I still wear on that rare occasion, and for my new wife, the outfit below, who wore the skirt once upon my insistence, but in reality buying all just to photograph each.

Recently, I came across one of my prints from back then, from 1978 - honoring those reclusive Seminoles, all who had purposely hidden deep within South Florida for nearly a hundred years.

 

Women's Seminole patchwork velveteen 'long skirt' - with sheer white (over-lay) cape top.  (1940's?)

 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment