Saturday, April 20, 2019

a big Holy Week (and a Seder)

Most of my life I've been more than curious, with cultures particularly. Well, this was my year to finally immerse into a cultural experience that always seemed at least two steps away.  Don't know why this became so suddenly related. Maybe from something that caught my interest, from something I recently had read, but it just came on, and full bore.

So as always, I reached out to my all-knowing, good friend Rebecca, who as a child was raised well immersed, and had grown up around the Jewish faith. I had questions. And she suggested that, definitely we should call-up her old friend, Sara (who had converted from Methodist, to Jew, to Catholic) - that she might have my answers. So, four days ago, calling from Rebecca's, we had a three-way, 45 minute phone conference with her friend - a deeply committed and knowledgeable Sara, still on Martha's Vineyard.

The following day, I drove over to our, one and only, local Jewish Deli restaurant to reserve a spot for Rebecca and I, for an offered holiday sit-down, (and possibly my first ever) Passover Seder. No luck - maybe too late, maybe too popular, maybe ....?  But, they did recommend the next best thing - arrive before the morning opening and get in line. At 7:30 am the next day, I was their first customer.






 




Two 'take-out' Brisket Platters;
(doesn't look very appealing, but I'll warm it all up later, make it fancy)

Beef Brisket
Matzo Ball Soup
Gelfilte Fish
Potato Pancakes
Carrot Tzimmes
and Macaroons






By 5:00 pm, Rebecca arrived with the "Manischewitz" and the makings for the traditional 'Seder Plate'. Sandy completed the ritual "house-cleaning", and I, being the youngest, had done my best by reading about the children's "four questions", while also researching the important biblical meaning behind the Great Exodus. 






traditional dipping using salted water from the Seder Plate





and All with a great ending and a newly appreciated significance for a very traditional, holiday meal.
Thanks Rebecca.
 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment