Wednesday, February 3, 2016

roadside attractions

Riding through Texas, there is so much along the roadside. These two came about in the same afternoon.

Approaching Balmorhea, from Alpine, Texas, along a beautiful stretch of cattle country, I had to flip a u-turn after glimpsing this roadside tribute. Driving by at first, the horse appeared real, the scenario staged. It was only when I stopped, got out, and read the comments written along the fence line, did I understand the significance.

Roadside tribute; posted & written by - Melody Perez.

"A Memorial Tribute to all the Slaughter Bound Horses, Burros and Mules that have been hauled down this highway on "their last ride".  











James H. Evans - photographer

About 10 years ago, I rode through this same area while on a long motorcycle journey, and by chance, saw a photographer, who was struggling with something, somewhat set-up alongside the road. Curious I pulled over. While trying to attach a large format camera, it was his bulky tripod that was giving him problems. Luckily, he was using the same tripod that I had been using for years, for my own 'field' camera.  Just then, he happen to mention a new book he recently had published, so we set-up a time later to meet. A beautiful, grand book - and I believe, he possibly being the best photographer working in Texas that day. Late that afternoon, James had signed it, and with a slight grin, wrote, "To the one who taught me everything I know". 

This road trip, I had hoped to stop by his new studio unannounced, and remind him of that encounter - just to say hello. But, he must have been out shooting his newest book.

James Evans Studio, Marathon, Texas














No comments:

Post a Comment