Sunday, January 31, 2016

Readers Oasis

My buddy, Eric Kroll, calls me while on the road and asks me to pick up some books from a friend in Quartzsite, Arizona. He warns me that he might be half-naked - and known as the "naked bookseller".

I pull into the roadside parking lot of Readers Oasis, and I'm little overwhelmed by the place. People are outside under lean-to's hawking all sorts of wares. The bookstore itself has a wooden facade with large tarps wrapped around both the sides, and appears virtually exposed in the back. I can see a small, separate "living" trailer off from the rear, with a thick extension cord running straight to a utility power pole. I wait to be introduced to Paul, but he's now on the phone with Eric.

Paul Winer introduces himself, "Would you like a little boogie-woogie? My buddies are coming over for an impromptu jam." Normally Paul's mostly naked, with only a hat and a jock sling, but today, he's got his jacket on cause it's a little chilly. Knuckles and I hangout outside and smoke under a mesquite tree - where a sign reads, "books in the shade".

Musician, Steve Hohstadt shows up with his dobro guitar and his old buddy, who plays 'wash-tub' base, Ralph Martin appears at the door. For years, Paul once toured the Northeastern states, playing and jamin' professionally, and way back then, was better known as "Sweet Pie". Well they get to playin' - and Knuckles and I must have stayed 2 hours - best "boogie-woogie" ever.  These guys were great, really great.


Outside reading area, "books in the shade"




Ralph Martin, "Sweet Pie" Paul, and guitarist Steve Hohstadt





Paul gettin' down with the piano and belting out great lyrics. Steve following on "dobro" guitar.










No comments:

Post a Comment