Tuesday, April 21, 2015

the big mishap

A good friend of my son Wilson, his buddy Jack Smith, called me awhile back - wanted to go fishing.

So yesterday, with a good strong incoming tide, we headed out early - out onto Robert's Bay in my Old Town canoe with it's fairly new, transom mounted 2.5 HP propane engine and all loaded up with our needed gear.

About two hours into guiding Jack around, to my favorite spots, and with a 'new moon' fast tide - I went to stand up, to cast, and I slipped and went falling, grabbing the handrail (gunwale) - and looking up, saw my fishing 'guest' Jack, tumbling to the right - with the canoe and it's many contents - all going over.

Engine, fishing poles, life-vests, lunch, shoes, tackle box, paddle and Jack, with his cell phone and car key "clicker" inside his pockets.  Everything went over, and that which floated - luckily floated - like my on-board "dry box" with my phone and cigarettes - and left us all, just splashing around.

Hard to believe I'm gettin' to old to fish - I've been fishing all my life.


Jack and I swam the canoe over to a near-by dock, and pondered our next move.





No comments:

Post a Comment