Thursday, September 11, 2014

undiscovered local murals

Somebody approached me at the supermarket, somebody that recognized me and knows my interest in 20th century Florida.  We got through the necessary introductions, when "Larry" finally mentions to me something about some obscure murals that he had seen recently in an old parking garage in downtown Sarasota.  Had I seen them?  I had never heard of them - didn't know anything about them - and wasn't even sure of his exact mentioned location.

So today on investigation, I went out looking and found them inside (on either end) of a dark and non-descript parking garage.  Both were of geographic nature.  One, a mapped overview of the  whole Gulf of Mexico region - and the other, more focused on Sarasota's Gulf Coast region.

6' by 8' mural (framed, oil on board) .  Sid Smith (1949)




detailed views











No comments:

Post a Comment