Wednesday, August 13, 2014

my favorite new friend

This past month I signed up for a summer membership with the Sarasota Lawn Bowling Club, to get out and about, to have a little fun and to meet new friends.  It has become much more.

Little did I know that I would meet a unique and charming "young" woman - Geraldine "Gerry" Smith - a 92 year-old renowned, accomplished and very competitive lawn bowler.  Thirty some years ago after moving to Sarasota from Michigan, Gerry walked out onto the greens for her very first time, and within two weeks, in her first tournament - she placed 2nd.  Soon she was playing in the state's "grass leagues" and would later qualify for the U. S. Championships.  During the winter months, Gerry played every day.  And today, she truly has become the matriarch for Sarasota's historic Lawn Bowling Club.

But, beyond her dedication, her tournament wins and twice acting as a national umpire - her spry humor, and patience while working with me - has won me over.  Just today, she kindly scolded me during our competitive play, while saying, "Hurry it up!"

Gerry Smith -  a real sweetheart and true champion.




1 comment:

  1. I am in a intra-club tournament this Saturday in the Pocono mountains of Pa. The Buckhill club and the Skytop club play off in their umpteenth annual. It is my pleasure to be on a team playing with 90 year old Winnie Neal, who although never a national winner, fits the mold of Gerry S. May their be many others!!! Submitted by Barry Brown, President of the Delray Beach, Fl. Lawn Bowling Club.

    ReplyDelete