Monday, March 17, 2014

finally saw the caretaker and pulled in

After a life-time of driving by the old Crocker graveyard, 187? - 1901 (for years overgrown and fenced-in near a busy intersection) I found “Whetzel” weed-wacking around the tombstones. At first the old man was a little crotchety, but soon I had him warmed him up with my mention of early pioneer names and my attention to the few remaining, tall long-leaf pines.

Today it is known as St. John’s Chapel Cemetery and, it does have a kinda’ creepy pioneer history. But on this stormy grey day, I was more drawn to the newly built mausoleum. The local Lovingood family goes way back, so I had to ask, “I’ve been lookin’ for a cemetery plot for myself – so, how did this mausoleum come about?”  Whetzel jumped right in, “The family donated $50,000 for the plot - and built that.” A slight pause, then Whetzel, with a slightly lifted eye, “I heard that it cost them $150,000 with all the marble and that.”

Surely out of my price range – and another odd tale to add to this past neglected, nearly abandoned graveyard.  But lately, it’s got a new shine.  And, the grounds are getting that new trim.  Engraved on a large marker standing nearby, “In Memory of Unknown Friends Resting Here.”




No comments:

Post a Comment